November 26, 2005

This Page Has Intentionally Been Left Blank

It’s a dark time of year at these latitudes, notwithstanding the Christmas lights festooning the streets of the town where we live, or the lights in almost every apartment-window, or the whiteness of this winter’s first flurries of snow. The dreariness of the season has inspired in me a certain lassitude, which in turn has contributed towards my negect of this journal, a state of inattention that, alas, will likely continue for another week or two.

Detail of 'Due Pulcinelle,' an ink-drawing by Giambattista Tiepolo.

Seasonal considerations aside, my home desktop PC is undergoing a difficult metamorphosis which, at present, is stuck at the chrysalis stage. In the meantime, just so there’ll be something here next week, not wanting to intentionally leave this page blank, I thought I would post a couple of details from a fascinating & decidedly weird pen-&-ink drawing entitled Due Pulchinelle (‘Two Punchinellos’) by Giambattista Tiepolo. I have previously made mention of the drawings in a similar vein by Tiepolo’s son, Giandomenico.

Detail of 'Due Pulcinelle,' an ink-drawing by Giambattista Tiepolo.

I’m grateful to Mr. Maydell, who sent me an e-mail drawing my attention to this image, which he found here. Only later did I realise I had already seen the same picture elsewhere, on this page, which had been my source for one of the younger Tiepolo’s sketches that I’d reproduced before. Oddly, these two versions of this image mirror each other, so I can’t be sure the orientation of the one above is correct. In any case, click on the details to see the image in full.

Posted by misteraitch at November 26, 2005 06:45 PM
Comments

Mr.Raitch

Sorry for your PC.Life is not only happy moments.
Here in the south of Equador,time shoud be sunny this time of the year,but in our globalized society, now we are having much rain and gray days.
Wish you vey good end and beginning of the year celebrations.

Posted by: on November 27, 2005 08:31 PM

Horror vacui, then?

Posted by: Loxias on November 29, 2005 05:16 PM

I hear ya about "the dreariness of the season". Over at the other side of the Gulf of Bothnia, most of my evenings are spent lying around looking not unlike that second Punchinello!

Posted by: Ismo Santala on November 29, 2005 11:40 PM

The mentioning by name should certainly humble me,
nevertheless I might offer a second image, likewise decidedly weird ...

The same spamula-inspired reconnaissance also pointed to "the many names of punch"

Regards across the Baltic F. M.

Posted by: Frank Maydell on November 30, 2005 10:02 AM

Thanks anonymous for your well-wishes: I hope that you see the sun again soon. My PC is still (supposedly) being fixed, but I have an old laptop that still works, so I should be able to post a couple of things during the coming week.

Loxias—not horror so much as mild anxiety, but yes, I guess so.

Iamo—I struggle a little with the darkness of the winters even at 56°4'20" North & have nothing but admiration for the dauntless inhabitants of Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Petersburg & those at even higher latitudes…

Frank—Many thanks again for the links!

Posted by: misteraitch on December 6, 2005 03:58 PM