June 18, 2004

Paula Rego

The latest parcel from those dependable people at Amazon contained a copy of Paula Rego: The Complete Graphic Work. This volume collects all of Rego’s etchings, lithographs and screenprints: it’s a lovely book, and I couldn’t resist scanning a few of the images therein…

'Jane Eyre', lithograph by Paula Rego, 2001/2.

'Mr Rochester', lithograph by Paula Rego, 2002.

The first four pictures are from Rego’s recent set of lithographs illustrating Charlotte Brontë’s novel Jane Eyre. The first image (above) is of Jane herself, and the second portrays Mr Rochester: in order to capture this scene, Rego apparently asked her model, dressed in period costume, to sit atop a life-size plastic horse posed next to a stuffed dog. The third image, below, is a strikingly imaginative way of showing Jane finding solace & escape by studying Bewick’s History of British Birds. In the fourth image (strongly reminiscent, to me, of Goya) we see Jane alone at night, having left Rochester’s house, knowing she cannot marry him…

'Loving Bewick', lithograph by Paula Rego, 2001.

'Night', lithograph by Paula Rego, 2002.

The remaining two images, below, are from earlier series of etchings: the first is one of Rego’s ‘Nursery Rhymes’, which I previously mentioned here, and the second is one of four crow-themed etchings made in 1994. I especially love the way that Rego has rendered the night sky in these two works.

'Hey Diddle Diddle', etching & aquatint by Paula Rego, 1989.

Night Crow

Click on the thumbnails above to see them much enlarged: note that the full images are all 500Kb+, and may take a little while to download. These works are are Copyright © Paula Rego, and are reproduced without permission, only for as long as nobody objects to their presence here.

Posted by misteraitch at June 18, 2004 01:16 PM | TrackBack
Comments

this woman is sick

Posted by: natalie on September 27, 2004 03:25 PM

Very...very...very beautiful...i dont have more words...Thanks

FRED

Posted by: Fred Matos Amaral on November 13, 2004 06:38 PM

I went to see her exhibition in Oporto, last wednesday, and I just loved it.

Posted by: Sofia on December 4, 2004 05:43 PM

i saw her work recently in a little town called Wigan her work is not 'moving' but the way she has taken her inspiration from a few lines of text is a fresh idea. But, if she's based most figures on her granddaughters, why do they look like men?

Posted by: Mel on January 31, 2005 05:18 PM

paula rego is one of the best artists ever i went looking at her work in my home town of wigan at drumcroon she is a very talented person and should be praised

Posted by: Leanne on May 27, 2005 08:03 PM

Paula Rego is an exceptional and talented artist. Her last painting was sold in london for 518.000 euros.
"when ignorance is a wisdom it is stupid to be wise."

Posted by: Duarte Pinheiro on July 25, 2005 12:04 AM

Paula Rego's work is sexy, mysterious and challenging. I look for the answer but come up with a different one each time - this enigmatic imagery draws me in and keeps me looking and thinking.

Posted by: Miranda on September 5, 2005 02:34 PM

Paula Rego is one of the most celebrated and , I would suggest, problematic artists currently working in Britain. She has continually renewed her practice, which has included the cut, paste and painted collages of the 1950s and 60s, the animal pictures of the 80s which developed into the more grounded grand compositions, the large pastels through to the present obsessive fixation with working directly from the observed experience, in order to delve into her imagination. While many contemporary artists, especially women, have embraced new media and processes to discover a personal visual language, Rego has steadfastly engaged herself within the complexities of traditional practice, seeking to take on the challenge of painting.

Learn more about the artist and view paintings by Paula Rego online

Posted by: Bartosz on January 27, 2006 04:03 PM

i really like her work its really helping me get ideas for my course work

Posted by: Rene on November 16, 2006 10:12 PM

I'm a Jane Eyre fan, and these drawings are great. She has the very essence of the novel.

Posted by: Holdcsepp on March 11, 2007 06:16 PM