February 21, 2004

Zichy

The thumbnail images below are of erotic drawings by the 19th-Century artist Mihály Zichy: clicking on the thumbnails will reveal the full images. Zichy (1827-1906) was a painter and illustrator too, but seems best remembered today (outside his native Hungary, at least) for his intimate draughtsmanship.

First of six thumbnail images from erotic drawings by Mihály Zichy. Second of six thumbnail images from erotic drawings by Mihály Zichy.

It is thought that these drawings date from the mid-1870s, when Zichy was in Paris. The artist travelled widely, and also worked in Vienna, and in St. Petersburg, where he became court painter to Czar Alexander II. We read, also, that he ‘founded a society to support painters in need’.

Third of six thumbnail images from erotic drawings by Mihály Zichy. Fourth of six thumbnail images from erotic drawings by Mihály Zichy.

My sources for the present images were these three pages.

Fifth of six thumbnail images from erotic drawings by Mihály Zichy. Last of six thumbnail images from erotic drawings by Mihály Zichy.

Posted by misteraitch at February 21, 2004 11:56 AM | TrackBack
Comments

They're astonishing. Do you know if he has ever been the subject of a biography?

Posted by: Gareth on February 21, 2004 06:55 PM

Not that I know of, although this purports to be a text related to these drawings.

Posted by: misteraitch on February 21, 2004 07:33 PM

The drawings are wonderful, but the composition of the pieces don't seem to be well thought out. Are these from a personal sketchbook? That was my impression, given that the images are floating in space, without any framing devices. Too bad, these drawings would really benefit from a tighter composition.

Posted by: Don on February 24, 2004 05:17 AM

Very nice! Makes me want to buy a big featherbed and take up pipe smoking.

It also reminds me of this old thread in my blog and some of the reaction it inspired.

Posted by: Prentiss Riddle on February 28, 2004 03:22 PM

yes he was, but only in hungarian.
zichy was really popular as an illustrator in the hungarian romanticism. he illustrated several book, the best of them is the Arany-Zichy album, where he illustrated the ballads of the genius poet Janos Arany. try downloading it from hungarian hubs via dc++.
i don't know if any english biographies exsist. i plan writing a little one for my little blog, but i originally wanted a hungarian, but english is no problem at all. if i could find the time and do so, i'll post the update up here, if you won't mind.

Posted by: notv.ati on June 26, 2004 02:22 PM

try it:
work and bio

enter
then click on the Z in the alphabet below
then youll find

Posted by: peter on June 26, 2004 08:39 PM

I know that Mikhael Zichy, (hungarian name:Zichy Mihly) the Painter had painted 13 painting ( theme of these painting russian women and girls had forced by rebels in gruzia ).
The paintings had remained in Russia,but where I dont know.(?Tretyakov or Ermitas or anywhere in privat collector).
If these painting had found anywhere, I like copys obtain by E-mail.
Many thanks!

Posted by: Papp Jnos on November 7, 2004 02:11 PM

I need help I believe to have in my possession a piece of erotic art from Zichy that I bought years ago in Budapest from a man who claimed it was his granfather,s etc. etc. I love it regardless and was hoping if someone could help me out with it It is in black and white ,pencil I believe , of an artist leaning over his female subject and kissing her breast .. Have any ideas on this one Have looked but not seen it listed .Any help appreciated . Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Deb on January 28, 2005 09:01 AM

Hi. Mihály, i believe, was one of my ancestors and im recently finding out abuot his art, and since im an artist too i would like to know more about him. i would appreciate any extra information regarding his life.
thanks