August 04, 2003

Fomenko

Taking some time to explore the Mathematik und Kunst (Mathematics and Art) section of Prof. Dr. Udo Hebisch’s Mathematischen Café site (my source for the Lorenz Stoer images posted here last week), I discovered the graphic work of contemporary mathematical artist Anatoly Timofeevich Fomenko (1945-), from which I’ve picked out the following small selection:

The separatrix diagram of a critical saddle point of a smooth function on a 3-dimensional manifold; 1974; ink on paper.

Proper Morse functions on 3-dimensional manifolds; 1975; ink on paper.

The genre of mathematical art seems, regrettably, to be a marginal one, with Escher’s visualisations of tesselation and symmetry still perhaps its most recognizable modern expression.

I do not really think of myself as an artist. I am a mathematician. To me, my drawings are photographs of some strange and interesting mathematical world - A.T. Fomenko.
Simplicial, cubic, cellular chains; 1974; ink on paper.

A theorem in symplectic geometry; 1986; ink on paper.
Anatoly Fomenko is a Soviet topologist with a special gift for expressing abstract mathematical concepts through art. Some of his work resembles that of M.C. Escher in its meticulous rendering of shapes and patterns, while other pieces are more visceral expressions of mathematical ideas. Stimulating to the imagination and to the eye, his rich and evocative work is interpreted and appreciated in various ways - mathematically, aesthetically, and emotionally - AMS blurb about the artist.
A nontrivial knot in 3-dimensional space; 1974; ink on paper.

The remarkable numbers pi and e, I; 1986; ink and pencil on paper.

Lastly, here is a striking variation on the theme of Albrecht Dürer’s celebrated engraving Melancholia I: Fomenko’s ‘Anti-Dürer’. Clicking on these images will open much larger versions of the same.

Anti-Dürer; ink and pencil on paper; 1975

Posted by misteraitch at August 4, 2003 12:10 PM | TrackBack
Comments

Very interesting entry. I just wrote one a couple of days ago about Fomenko's theory of history. I'm still not convinced that he's serious about it, though.

Posted by: jim on August 4, 2003 06:11 PM

Very interesting artwork!!

Posted by: Fire and Ice on August 4, 2003 10:08 PM

I love your site, truly I do! The art you choose to present is thought provoking and quite often lovely. I'm sure you won't mind if I link you. Let me know though if you do.

michelle

Posted by: michelle on August 5, 2003 07:47 AM

Love it! Something Escher-esque to look at without looking at the same old Escher.

Posted by: Emily on August 13, 2003 09:16 AM

Saudacoes...
Por incrivel que pareca, eu tenho um irmao que se
chama Anatolei Fomenko.
Meu avo veio da Russia-Odessa, o nome dele eh Jorge Fomenko, somos os unicos da familia Fomenko aqui no Brasil.
Quem sabe somos parentes!!!!!

Tchau
Familia Fomenko do Brasil

Posted by: Dora Fomenko on January 24, 2004 04:52 AM

I like your site. I am currently working on a project which deals with p-adic analysis, and thus I am interested in finding some of the drawings he has made of p-adic spaces. If anyone has information as to where I could find these in digital form, I would be grateful. Thank you!

Posted by: Adam Larios on April 26, 2004 11:41 PM

These pics are mind impulsing, the visual art is an equation that is linked to life.

Posted by: adam larios on June 29, 2004 09:13 AM

Whoa, I dunta b'lieeeve it, Capt'n!
I heard abt. Anatoly Fomenko only through
a science reader decades ago! Thank you for
putting up his work here! Wowie-wow-wow!

Say, d'ya think he knows how to time-travel,
considering he's got such a genius for seeing
how the universe & everything are themselves
comprised? C'mon, Fomenko! Let's have the much
sought after secret to time-travelling!

Thanks again for putting his artwork up here!
Maybe do Alfaro Sequieros next.

Posted by: Anadae Q. Effro on October 18, 2007 08:44 AM

Pardon me, Professor,
I meant "Siqueiros"; the spelling of the Maestro's name proved problematical for me. But, hey, whadaya think abt. Fomenko's historical revisionism, the New Chronology?

Is he serious? Is it an academic joke of some kind? Is he using his brilliant topological credentials to hoodwink the madd'ing crowds into accepting a fraud?

Anywho, I'm directing more intellectuals such as we to your most intriguing site here. Thank you once again for makin' this available to us web surfers.

Y Gwir yn Erbyn y Byd,